Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Great and Mighty Things

Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not. Jeremiah 33:3

The man God spoke these words to, at times tried to get away from his call to preach, but Jeremiah could not get away from that call. Every time he did try, the Lord would send a fire of conviction deep into his bones. It has rather been that way for me, times when I felt like saying to God, "It's your problem. You handle it. I'm out of here!" But that same fire soon returns, and after He allows me a short period to get over my own personal issues, He gets me up and going again.

After this past Sunday morning, just a little past 9:30, I was convinced more than ever before that He had given me a special ministry to special people. These "special" people are just that to me because they suffer from emotional illnesses. And where are they? They are locked behind the walls and closed doors of a psychiatric hospital located in a country setting in the county in which I live. Some people out in the world at large still refer to them as "lunies in a nuthouse." I have even heard "good" church folks describe them that way whenever I told them about my ministry to such persons.

But had any of these folks gone with me this past Sunday and seen as I did the look of hunger and thirst in their eyes, hunger and thirst for someone to care for them, someone to just love them, and to tell them that God loves them best of all, I feel sure they might want to let go of those faulty notions.

Contrary to the belief of many who do not understand this kind of illness, these are hurting people who have been hurt in more ways than many of us who are well can imagine. Depression is very much a real and very serious condition. I ought to know. I have suffered with it for many years, and I still have to deal with it from time to time. I am thankful for medicines which I believe the Lord gave to certain people the talent to develop. I have not had to take any medication for several years, but I am glad at least that it was there for me when I really needed it. But what I also believe is that there is the Balm in Gilead still around to heal sick minds. Although in certain cases diseases of the mind are caused by some organic dysfunction, I have also found that there are some of these which are caused by the environment. One woman, now in her late forties, told me a while back that she has suffered with mental distress since she was a little girl. She had been sexually abused by her father.

But just how do I see those who are emotionally disturbed? I see them as being people who need to know that their lives are not hopeless, because there is a wonderful God and Savior who can help them through their struggle. They, like all of us, need to hear and experience the same saving grace of God through His Son Jesus Christ. And in that light, I am thankful to my Father in heaven that He chose to use me, scattered and undone as I am, to minister to these hurting souls. What a blessing it is to have enough of what they have been going through so that I might be able to relate to them effectively with the gospel. I would not trade that for all the money this world could afford me today, or any day.

No comments: